There is a lot that goes into making a house a home, this is one thing that I have learned over the years. Stying and interior design can make a space homey and inviting. I’m a firm believer that your space can make you feel good, and with more people spending more time in their homes now is the perfect time to style your space. The kitchen is the heart of the home, at every party somehow everyone always ends up standing around the kitchen drinking and eating. Lots of homes have an open floor plan so when you are entertaining guests can usually see the kitchen. Now the kitchen is often forgotten in terms of styling your space, but it’s one of the areas in our homes that make the biggest impact. Keep reading for our interior design tips: how to style your kitchen.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. By clicking on a link of a product we recommend we do receive a commission. But don’t worry there won’t be any extra cost to you! This helps support our website and promote vegan and cruelty free products that we love.
Timeless Kitchen Trends
Since the kitchen is definitely the heart of the home it can be overwhelming when designing or renovating the space because not only does it need to be functional but it also is expansive to change if you don’t like something. When we were building our home I spent hours looking on Pinterest for ideas and inspo to help me with designing my kitchen. While I still love my kitchen 5 years later there are a few things I would change. There are some things that I believe will never go out of style!
- White/Neutral Kitchens: while I love looking at a fun colourful kitchen I think these styles tend to date and go out of style a lot quicker than a white or neutral kitchen. White also feels so light and airy and helps to brighten up a space.
- Subway Tile: this tile is one of the most classic choices for a kitchen backslash and it can be used so many ways depending on the way it’s installed. You can have the classic subway pattern, herringbone and many others. This tile can also work for a variety of home decor styles from modern and classic to everything in-between.
- Hood-fan: There are so many different styles but this feature I think elevates a kitchen and makes it look more high end vs just having a microwave above the stove.
- Open Shelves: This is great either in the kitchen or dining area it also allows you to display some of you favourite items. We got our large shelving unit in our dining room from a Restoration Hardware floor sale (it felt like that Ikea commercial where the women yells start the car because she got such a great deal). I love using our shelving unit to display our nice dishes, vases, alcohol, and plants. I think open shelving can also add some character into a space.
- Pendents: I don’t have pendents in my kitchen but I think that they are a great addition to a kitchen space. The nice thing about them is you can easily change them to update your space.
Interior Design Tips: How to Style Your Kitchen
The kitchen definitely has to be a functional space but that doesn’t mean we can’t make it look pretty and chic too. I often use stying items in the kitchen that are also useful as well. Your kitchen style design can also tie into your other home decor. Now I have a white kitchen which I love but no matter the style of your kitchen you can use these tips to elevate your space. One thing that I love to incorporate into my decor are timeless items, while trends are fun they go out of style quick, so keeping most of the decor classic will last a lot longer.
My Favourite Items to Decorate My Kitchen With
I feel like this is a given, not only are cookbooks useful in the kitchen but they are pretty too. Check out our favourite plant based cook books HERE! I love stacking some pretty cookbooks on my counter they can add a bit of colour and character to your kitchen.
These are also useful tools in the kitchen that look pretty. Recently vintage large cutting boards are all the rage among interior designers, but these can get expensive. So if you don’t have the budget for the vintage cutting boards hit up your local Homesense they have super affordable ones. I love also mixing wood and marble cutting boards for added interest. Lean the cutting boards up against your backsplash with some decor in front.
I love using trays to corral items, it always makes things so much neater. Use a tray to house your dish and hand soap or to house olive oil and spices. I love a good marble tray in the kitchen, but there are some super pretty vintage wood ones as well.
I love housing my utensils in a pretty holder, not only does this make tools easy to grab but it looks chic too. I love using a nice bowl to display in season fruit.
Now you may be thinking art in the kitchen?! But yes this adds such interest and style to your space! Lean one of your favourite prints (in a nice frame of course) up again the backsplash and boom looks designer. I also love using a pretty letter board with a saying on it.
Rugs can definitely warm up the space and make it feel less stark. I love a good vintage Turkish rug in the kitchen it brings in a lot of character.
There is something about fresh flowers that feel luxurious to me. I love getting some nice blooms and displaying them on my counter.
One thing that can instantly make a space feel homey is scent. I love adding a nice candle into the kitchen for that very reason.
Where to Shop for Kitchen Decor
Amazon is quickly becoming one of my favourite places to shop for great decor. Not only do they have tons of options the shipping is super quick. When I first started looking for kitchen decor on Amazon I was having a hard time finding organic pretty pieces like the vintage cutting boards etc but I have soured a ton of great stuff and have it all linked in my Amazon storefront so you guys don’t have to search.
I live in Canada so Homesense is basically like a Homegoods. I usually frequent Homesense once every few weeks and have found some great stuff there! But it can be hit or miss so that’s why you have to go often.
My Zara obsession continues, and I absolutely love their decor. Zara’s stuff is also a great price point and they are constantly brining in new collections depending on the season.
Similar to Zara Home but I find that their prices are even better and they have lots of cute kids stuff too.
Shop Our Kitchen Favourites